Step Three: Financing Your Studies at University

When applying to university, there are several different ways to benefit from additional finance for your degree and living costs, depending on various factors. You may be eligible for additional funding support whilst studying through other charity or government grants and or bursaries.

Before reading about the additional funding that’s available, check out this helpful guide on financing your studies; from our Student Dosh guide for getting financially prepared for university.

Alternative options

Your student loan may not always be enough to ensure you can complete your studies and cover the costs. If this is the case, you may be able to secure additional funding through multiple avenues:

For individual benefits advice contact Disability Rights UK to speak with a welfare rights specialist in the Student Money Advice Team at your university or college or try your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

You can also visit RNIB’s ‘Advice on  managing your money for young people’ pages for further advice on benefits, budgeting, debt advice as well as contact information for the RNIB Welfare Advice team across the UK.

Useful information and contacts

Student Support Service  – Thomas Pocklington Trust

You can contact us at   or call our student support line 0203 757 8040.

Disability Rights UK

Disability Rights UK have produced factsheets on funding whilst at university.

Save the Student

Save the Student provides free, impartial advice to students on how to make their money go further. They have a helpful guide on applying for DSA.

Government guidance

You can find further details about DSA and download an application form at GOV.UK Disabled Students’ Allowances. For large print, Braille or audio versions contact Student Finance England by calling 0141 243 3686 or email

Student Finance

For general student finance information visit the GOV.UK Student finance website.

Back to top