Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)
The Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) grant has supported many blind and partially sighted students with additional funding to complete their studies. The DSA process is quite detailed and therefore needs close attention throughout. The following sections below cover all the important information to ensure you get everything you need for your educational journey.
What DSA covers
- Specialist equipment e.g. a braille embosser, dictaphone or access technology
- Non-Medical Help (NMH) e.g. supporting mobility and orientation around campus
- Extra travel costs e.g. taxi fares to and from university
- Other disability-related costs of studying
What DSA doesn’t cover
- Daily support towards personal assistance
- The cost of adapted accommodation needs in university housing or housing provided by an agent to the university. However, universities are required to make reasonable adjustments so disabled students are not at a disadvantage compared with others.