Action five: Help with food costs

Every local council provides different ‘welfare assistance’ or ‘Household Support Fund’ services to help you with the rise of energy bills, food costs and other essentials. Some councils have also announced new schemes to help people to cope with the cost-of-living crisis.

You can contact your local council for more details about the hardship support or call Citizens Advice to help you figure out what support you might be eligible for and how to apply if needed.

Go back to the main Cost of Living Hub


Check out the other actions...

Action one: Help with household bills

Get all the information you need to help with household bills and other costs including housing, council tax, energy and TV licence.

Find out more about 'Action one: Help with household bills'

Action two: Help with money and benefits

Billions of pounds in money and benefits go unclaimed every year. Make sure you are claiming everything you might be entitled to and are getting the help you need.

Find out more about 'Action two: Help with money and benefits'

Action three: Help with health and care costs

Check out this section for information on how to manage your health and care costs including prescription charges, home care and more.

Find out more about 'Action three: Help with health and care costs'

Action four: Help with energy saving and home improvements

Find out about support for energy saving with home energy efficiency, adaptations you can make to your home and help with home improvements.

Find out more about 'Action four: Help with energy saving and home improvements'

Action six: Employment support

There is help and advice available about getting back into work or looking for a new job from a range of employment support sources.

Find out more about 'Action six: Employment support'
Back to top