What is a Careers Adviser?

A careers adviser provides impartial information, advice and guidance to help make realistic choices about education, training and work options.

How they can support

In school or college, young people with a specialist education need or disability (SEND) can expect to meet with a careers adviser every year from Year 8 to 13. They will usually provide one to one support and in some cases where an Education and Health Care or SEN plan is in place parents/carers can be involved too.

Where they are based

A careers adviser can be accessed at school or college. How the careers adviser is funded and where they are based can vary.

National Careers’ Service (NCS) has qualified careers advisers who provide support to those aged 13-19. It can be accessed online or via the telephone in addition to or in the absence of any support received in school or college.

How to access their support

As part of the school careers provision the student should be put directly in touch with a careers adviser at appropriate points within the careers programme.

They can be accessed via the careers lead or they may have an open-door policy or system for booking appointments.

To find out more information about how to make the most of your careers advice, check out this guide from SuccessAtSchool.org.

You may also be interested in...

What is a SENCO?

Discover everything you need to know about what a Specialist Needs Coordinator (SENCO) is and how they can support you.

Find out more about 'What is a SENCO?'

What is a Habilitation Specialist?

Find out the important information about what a Habilitation/Rehabilitation specialist is and how they can support you in your education.

Find out more about 'What is a Habilitation Specialist?'

What is a QTVI?

Learn what a Qualified Teacher of Children and Young People with Vision Impairment (QTVI) is and how they can support you throughout your education.

Find out more about 'What is a QTVI?'

What are Work Experience and Work Placement Coordinators?

Find out about work experience coordinators and work placement coordinators and how they can help you.

Find out more about 'What are Work Experience and Work Placement Coordinators?'
Back to top