What is a SENDIASS service?

SENDIASS stands for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Services.

How they can support

The service is there to provide free, impartial and confidential information, advice and support for parents and carers, children and young people with a special education need and disability (SEND).

They provide advocacy support for individual children, young people, and parents to support them to express their views and wishes and to help them to understand and exercise their rights in matters including exclusion, complaints, SEND processes and SEND appeals.

The support should be offered in a range of ways including face to face, a telephone helpline, email, website and social media.

You can read the ‘minimum standards’ here.

Where they are based

Each local authority has a duty to commission a SENDIASS service, but it must be at arm’s length. They are usually based in premises separate to the local authority and schools.

How to access their support

You can find your local service by visiting the Council for Disabled Children website here.



You might also be interested in...

What is a Careers Adviser?

Discover more about careers advisers; what they do, where they are based and how you can access their support to make informed decisions about your education and work options.

Find out more about 'What is a Careers Adviser?'

What is a Habilitation Specialist?

Find out the important information about what a Habilitation/Rehabilitation specialist is and how they can support you in your education.

Find out more about 'What is a Habilitation Specialist?'

What is a QTVI?

Learn what a Qualified Teacher of Children and Young People with Vision Impairment (QTVI) is and how they can support you throughout your education.

Find out more about 'What is a QTVI?'

What is a SENCO?

Discover everything you need to know about what a Specialist Needs Coordinator (SENCO) is and how they can support you.

Find out more about 'What is a SENCO?'
Back to top