Everything you need to know about the SEND green paper and the consultation's proposal.Find out more about 'About The SEND Green Paper'
SEND Green Paper: Our Response
We believe that everyone should be able to thrive in education. We have set out to Government our views on their proposals for further changes to education for children and young people (CYP) with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
In summary, we stated that any changes to SEND support should ensure:
- The Curriculum Framework for CYP with Vision Impairment is embedded within the National Standards or the updated Code of Practice, setting out what support parents and blind and partially sighted children and young people should expect.
- There is clear and equitable funding for high need, low incidence disabilities to ensure equity of access to specialist support.
- Education, health and care plans (EHCPs) are not requisite for blind and partially sighted children and young people to access habilitation and qualified teacher of children and young people with vision impairment (QTVI) services.
- Accountability is built into the system. It should monitor and ensure assessed needs and outcomes are met.
- There is an equity in access to specialist support across all Further Education settings.
- All aspects of the digitisation of EHCPs are accessible.
The Government will respond to the consultation in Autumn and will set out what the next steps will be.
You may also be interested in...
Find out more about what Thomas Pocklington Trust's position is on the SEND green paper consultation.Find out more about 'SEND Green Paper: What We Have To Say'
Find out more about what Thomas Pocklington Trust (TPT) is doing to better understand the experiences and address the needs of blind and partially sighted students.Find out more about 'SEND Green Paper: What We Are Doing'
Find out how you can better support blind and partially sighted students in your role as an education professional with our useful resources.Find out more about 'Resources for Education Professionals'